Chickpea curry – perfect for a Friday night in. And as chickpeas are both highly nutritious and tasty, this is a recipe that will really tickle your taste-buds.
What you will need:
– Olive oil
– 6 cloves
– Cinnamon powder
– 2 onions
– 2 cloves of Garlic
– 100g Tomato passata
– 2 tins of chickpeas
– Chana masala
– Gharam masala
– Tomato puree
– Lemon juice
– 200g Basmati rice/ Naan bread
What to do:
1. Warm 2 teaspoons of oil in a large frying pan and add 6 cloves, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1 pinch of cumin, 2 chopped onions, 5 ground cloves of garlic and a tablespoon of chopped ginger.
2. Add 100g of tomato passata, 1 teaspoon of tumeric, 1 teaspoon of chana masala, 1 teaspoon of gharam masala, and 1 teaspoon of ground coriander & cumin seeds.
3. Allow to simmer and when the water has evaporated, add 3 tablespoons of tomato puree.
4. Drain 2 tins of chickpeas and add to the sauce.
5. Boil until gravy has thickened and add a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of salt to taste.
This tastes great with Naan bread, or on its own, but to make it a full meal enjoy with a bowl of freshly boiled rice.
For the rice:
1. Place 200g of basmati rice in a saucepan with 2 cups of water and allow to boil for 12-15 minutes.
2. When rice is soft, drain the remaining water and serve.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, it’s a great way to get some heat on those days when you’re fighting the cold bite of winter.