This filling meal is another great one for the winter months. It’s warm, cheesy, and truly delicious. If you fancy a homemade version of this popular ‘microwave meal,’ then follow my three step process.
What you need:
– Macaroni pasta shells (about one mug full)
– A whisk
– 300g mushrooms
– 250g tin of sweetcorn
– One onion
– Salt and pepper.
– Mixed herbs
– Chilli flakes
– Nutmeg powder (One tablespoon)
– White flour (Three tablespoons)
– Butter (A large dollop)
– Double cream (70ml)
– Cheddar Cheese (500g grated)
– Milk (whole or semi-skimmed)
– Salad leaves for an accompanying side salad if you are so inclined 🙂
Step 1. Boil the macaroni
– Take just over one mug full of dry macaroni. Let it boil in a large saucepan of water until soft. See packet for exact timings.
– Drain and set aside when boiled.
Step 2. Get your veggies sorted.
– Take a large frying pan and heat a tablespoon of olive oil in it. Add in one chopped onion and about 300g of chopped mushrooms.
– Add in a few dried chilli flakes and a selection of dried herbs.
– Allow to fry on a medium heat and remember to stir!
– Add salt, black pepper, and when the mushrooms are soft, add in a 250g tin of sweetcorn (drain and rinse the corn first)
– When the onions and mushrooms are cooked, and the sweetcorn is sufficiently warm, take the pan off the heat, and set aside for later!
3. Beautiful Bechamel
– Melt one large dollop of butter in a small saucepan.
– When fully melted, add three tablespoons of white flour.
– Add 1 cup of milk.
– Keep whisking or it’ll get lumpy. Make sure to get the bottom perimeter of the pan because that’s usually where the flour likes to settle.
– Whisk some more.
– Bring to a boil, and when thick, add in some salt, 1 tablespoon of nutmeg, and 70ml of double cream.
Now take your pasta, and mix in the sauce and vegetables, before placing in a large oven proof dish.
Then grate a large amount of cheese and place on top of the dish, before putting in the grill at about 180C for ten minutes… until the top looks like this…
This can serve up to four people, but if you’re cooking for one then it’s fine to freeze the rest. You can stick the frozen portions in the microwave when temptation strikes, and so you can enjoy a microwave meal that’s been made at home 🙂
As you can see, this always tastes great with some fresh salad leaves. Enjoy!
- Macaroni and Cheese! (kitchensmitten.wordpress.com)
- World’s Best Macaroni and Cheese Ever!!!! (sweeneysouthernhomes.wordpress.com)
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese (20raraarmita.wordpress.com)
- Macaroni and Cheese & Recipe for Macaroni and Cheese | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)