This is my magical, minty quinoa salad. Delicious, nutritious, and quick to prepare, this salad works great as a quirky side salad with burgers and main meals, and is equally wonderful as a packed lunch.
What you’ll need:
– 100g Quinoa (raw or pre-cooked, depending on your laziness levels)
– 3 or 4 inches of fresh Cucumber
– 7 or 8 Cherry Tomatoes (piccolo, roma or pomodoro tomatoes also work)
– 50g Feta Cheese
– 10 large Mint Leaves
What to do:
1. Prepare your quinoa. If you’re cooking it from raw, boil the quinoa in a double quantity of water (one cup quinoa to two cups water) and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. I used to do this all the time, but recently switched to using packet quinoa (Merchant Gourmet’s red and white), as it saves time and tastes just as good.
2. Peel and prepare your cucumber by cutting into small pieces. Prepare your tomatoes (cut them in halves if you prefer smaller pieces) and rinse and dry the mint leaves.
3. When the quinoa is ready, drain if there is any excess water and allow to cool. If you used a packet quinoa then skip to the next step!
4. Cut the feta cheese into small pieces (or crumble it up in your fingertips) and sprinkle over the quinoa. Mix in the cucumbers, tomatoes and mint well, add some pepper and enjoy!
This delicious concoction works perfectly as a healthy lunch for one, or as a cool salad for a dinner party to accompany the main dish (just triple the ingredients to make a healthy side salad).
The mint and cucumber work so nicely together to provide some coolness to the protein-rich quinoa, whilst the feta and tomato give the dish a tangy kick that ties it all together. If you want to introduce a sweet crunch to this dish, throw in some sweetcorn kernels too. Enjoy!